FCT primary school teachers suspend strike

The ongoing strike action by primary school teachers of the Local Education Authority (LEA) in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has been suspended.

The primary school teachers in the FCT had since January embarked on a strike over the nonpayment of their 25-month national minimum wage arrears and non-implementation of the 40 per cent peculiar allowance, by the six area council chairmen of the FCT.

A communique jointly signed by the state chairman of the FCT wing of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Abdullahi Mohammed Shafas; Secretary, Margaret F. Jethro and Publicity Secretary, Ibikun Adekeye, said the suspension of the primary school teachers’ strike followed an emergency meeting of the State Wing Executive Committee (SWEC) of the union held at the Teachers House in Gwagwalada, FCT late Friday, evening.

According to the union, the decision to suspend the ongoing strike followed the intervention of the FCT Minister Nyesom Wike to pay 40 percent of the total sum of the 25 months’ arrears of the national minimum wage and also committing the six area council chairmen to pay the remaining 60 percent amount of the N7 billion within three months with effect from January 2024.