Kwara govt investigates alleged unpaid salaries of 101 monarch

The Kwara State Government has announced that it has commenced an investigation into the alleged unpaid salaries and personal emoluments over the past 21 years of Oba Abdulkadir Alabi Adebara, a 101-year-old traditional ruler of Jebba in the Moro local government area of Kwara State.

Speaking with journalists during an inter-ministerial press briefing hosted by the State Ministry of Communications and Strategy in Ilorin on Monday, the State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Abubakar Bata, said that the state government is on top of the matter.

“The state government is investigating the matter. We’re on top of the Jebba traditional royal issue with the aim of finding a lasting solution to it. I can tell you now that it will be resolved very soon,” he said.

Oba Adebara had also, on January 24, 2024, begged the present administration of Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq to restore his grade as a traditional ruler and to pay his salaries and personal emoluments from the past 21 years.

ALSO READ: Reps demand VAT records of MDA REMITA transactions from FIRS

The traditional ruler, who was awarded Third Class grade by the government of Alhaji Mohammed Lawal over 20 years ago (May 16, 2003), had his grade withdrawn by subsequent administrations.

Additionally, the State Commissioner for Education and Human Capital Development, Hajia Sa’adatu Modibbo Kawu, said that the state government has paid a N7 billion counterpart fund to UBEC for education development in the state.

She mentioned that the activities of the state government in the area of education development and teacher training have led to a 50 percent reduction in absenteeism in the state, particularly through the Kwara Learn program.

In her presentation, the State Commissioner for Social Development, Afolashade Opeyemi Kemi, said that the government has evacuated destitutes and beggars, who are said to be arms depots for criminals, away from the Ilorin metropolis.

The commissioner said that more than 100 such beggars have been removed from the state within the last year, adding that most of the beggars raided were found with dangerous arms like guns, daggers, charms, and other dangerous weapons.

“What could beggars be doing with charms and guns? Our discovery confirms that criminals keep their guns and other weapons with them,” she said.

Source:

Tribune Online