Papua New Guinea landslide buries thousands, officials say. What to know

A massive landslide that local officials say buried thousands of people in a remote area of Papua New Guinea last week has prompted an international response, with partners set to meet Tuesday to determine how best to help.

The Papua New Guinea government told the United Nations in a letter dated Sunday that more than 2,000 people were buried alive by the landslide, which caused “major destruction” in Yambali village in Enga province, according to the Associated Press and Reuters.

What happened?

Rescue efforts underway

Tribal warfare


Hundreds feared dead after massive landslide in Papua New Guinea


Booth added the conflicts have also displaced many people in the area, meaning the number of residents in Yambali was likely higher than the officially-estimated 4,000 when the landslide hit.

Story continues below advertisement

Before the landslide, Canada had updated its travel advisory for the country, urging people to avoid non-essential travel due to “high levels of crime, inter-ethnic violence and civil unrest.”

Canada does not have a consulate in Papua New Guinea, telling travellers to contact the Australian High Commission which works with Canada to provide consular services.

Global Affairs Canada says Canadians in Papua New Guinea who require emergency assistance to contact its 24-hour emergency watch and response centre.

— With files from the Associated Press and Reuters

Source:

: World